It can be a daunting experience when you are trying to sell your unwanted gold, silver or any precious metal jewellery, so we have compiled a quick list for you to get best and fair price.
- Understand what is your jewellery made of, for example is it gold, platinum, silver or palladium? You can use British hallmarks guide to ascertain metal and carat (fineness). You may use London assay office’s guide for this.
- Don’t be afraid of shopping around. It is best practice to call 2 to 3 gold buying shops to ask what they are paying per gram on that day. Precious metals trade live and the price paid changes everyday. Some shops make it easier for the customer by putting prices on their website. Generally, you can trust the shops that make information clear and transparent to you. When calling these shops ask them a few questions, for example “What are you paying for fine gold and 9 carat gold per gram today?” And “Are there any other charges when selling jewellery”
- Compare prices with a quick internet search, you can get live gold prices. As a rule of thumb, you should get between 90% to 97% percent of market price.
- Carry identity documents, usually shops would ask for a photo ID and proof of address.
- Be prepared for good news and bad news, because jewellery is made in different carats (fineness) it is not always easy to identify which carat jewellery is made of, especially for someone who is not in the trade. Also, depending on origin of jewellery, where trademark practices are not as stringent as UK, it may mean that an item has a 22-carat stamp but, instead it’s made of 20 or 21 carat. Or you may think that an item is 9 carat, and it actually is 14 carat or 18 carat, which means you would get more money back. Whichever the case a good gold buyer will talk you through the process of assaying your item.
When selling jewellery, remember that buyer is only buying the precious metal content and hence would not pay for money invested in ‘making’ of the item or any stones, wires or enamel.
We buy all precious metals and pay according to London fix. You can check our price on the website. There are no other hidden charges, and we give multiple payment options including same day bank transfers
And if you don’t want to part with your jewellery but need some money, you can always get a secured loan against it. Check out our pawnbroking and buyback services.